Google

Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Its December...

So its December 5th.. 9 days and counting.. and I guess its starting to hit me both how close and how real the trip is. Feeling a little bit uneasy, and at the same time the excitment is building.. Its getting pretty tough to stay focused on work at work, especially when all I can think about is how great 2 weeks bumming all over Europe is going to be.

The trip is only becoming more tangible with the arrival of my backpacking gear! For those that know me, I am a techno nut, I love technology, and love being connected, but over this past year of moving around frequently for work, I have learned the value of traveling light, but still love the technology.

Came/Had

Backpack - actually I have 3 of them, not sure which I will keep, but I have two internal frame traditional backpacks, and one more lightweight hiking bag (def for those traveling light people).
Fast Drying Towel - a must from what I can tell, dries in under 15 mins, trust me I already tested it (used it this morning before heading off to work).
Water Bottle - had this one, one of those indestructable GE Lexan ones (gotta support my company)
Travel Locks - TSA approved locks, but also got a cable lock on the way, this one is for my zippers.
Digital Camera & MP3 player - Techno nut, cant live without my iPod or my Canon.. got an extra battery, plug convertors.
North Face Apex Jacket - good up to -10 degrees Celisus below, water resistant. Good for keeping me warm and dry.
Tickets - both Eurail Pass (15 day consectutive) and plane tickets (DCA to JFK, JFK to AMS, VCE to AMS, AMS to JFK, JFK to DCA). I didnt know they still did paper tickets, but I guess for international journies they are a must.
Cheap Messenger Bag - cheap to hold on to my stuff during the day
Travel Guide Book - it will be slaughtered tonight, so I can bind it and make it smaller

Still Waiting on

Cell Phone - cheaply purchased off ebay for 30 bucks.. quadband GSM.. so be prepared for drunk lunch time phone calls from your friendly neighborhood big indian.
SIM card - international sim card to make phone calls with, should arrive today
Packing Cubes - to help organize my crazy trip
Money Belt/Man Purse - help conceal my valuables from theives

Still Need to Find

Swiss Army Knife - something with knife, and cork screw
Journal - just incase I dont get to this wonderful site, want to remember everything I see and do..
Key Chains - a bunch of DC items that I can trade/give to people I met, some measure of Good Will from the dirty ugly american
Target Clean Stick - for those dirty spills.

Actions I still need to do

Reserve Hostels - I have my Amsterdam Hostel reserved thanks to Mr. Tim Burroughs ( Staying at the Bulldog, www.bulldog.nl) but other then that, need to make some choices.

Other Packing List items

So here are the other things I am taking:
2 pairs of jeans
1 pair of cargos
1 brown shoes (steve madden look a likes -- gotta love sketchers)
5 boxers
5 shirts
1 polo
1 dress shirt
5 pairs of socks
1 hat
1 pair of gloves
1 baseball hat
I am going to stick to a brown theme for the trip.. mostly kuz I am brown.
More to come soon.. but remember..

Once You Go Brown
You Can Only Go Down
~Mike Schmidt

No comments: