Google

Friday, December 8, 2006

Driving to PA... and Holdiay Season

So its finally Friday... t-minus less then one week til Europe and I collide in an epic battle of Man versus nature... no no no.. that just isnt right.. til Europe and I meet in a neverending struggle of a Indian's comming of age story.. no that is it either.. but maybe I am making to much out of this... all possible.

Anyway, yesterday for work, I got to drive through Maryland, through Delware and up into Pennsylvania to pick up some parts from one of our many deliquent suppliers that couldnt ship parts to us on time. In case you want to know, I am in a training program with GE Healthcare focused on operations and manufacturing, I get to switch jobs every 6 months for 2 years and this role happens to be a little bit of everything. Anyway I digress, from the point of the story. I finally find the company's shop (which also happens to double as the owners house) and as I am driving up, I see two kids walking ahead of me, now to me, this is no big deal, but apparently to them I was a potential kidnapper or worse... I have never seen to kids start to cry and run so quickly in my entire life... and theres me just trying to figure out what then hell just happened.

When I get to the shop... ie his front door... the owner of both the company and house answers and he has the parts ready for me. We start to talk and I explain, I may have frightened his children, he says no worries, he will explain it to them later.. I think what a dad! But I dont say that, because I am in the country.. he probably has a gun. Can you see the headline now..

Indian Man attempts to Abduct Kids, Father Slays Him

So I take my parts and run.. driving as fast as I can back to civilization... As I am getting close to the freeway, I realize I need to get cash to pay the 15 dollars worth of Tolls between PA and MD.. yes 15 dollars to drive 115 miles.. RIDICULOUS.. and I used to complain about Illnonis's buck fifty toll.

Anyway after fighting the tolls, 2 hours of traffic through the 95 corridor of Hell as I like to call it (imagine the same stretch on Friday afternoons because its the to Atlantic City), I finally arrive back at the office to deliver the parts. Only 6 hours after I left, for this 230 mile jaunt. Wonderful :)

However, my day still is not done, I still have the 30 to 90 minute commute down 95 into DC fighting traffic all the way... I wish there was a better public transportation connection... I hate to drive.

Anyway you maybe wondering, what does Holiday season have to do with my trip to Europe.. well nothing, other then I am heading to my third holiday party of the season, none of which are work related :) ... Normally I am not a very Holiday cheery kinda guy, but I do love the occasionaly holiday party, where you drink egg nog, listen to crappy holiday music that has been on the radio since Black Friday (day after thanksgiving). But most of all I do love that fact, that people seem much happier, and that makes for a good party.

So tonight I am heading to Bomhack's Well Mannored Frivolity.. which I believe will be a top 5 drunkiness night for me this year.. I am ready to finally let loose on the District of Columbia, like I haven't yet... So Ill have to fill ya'll in tomorrow on more details on how it goes.. but be ready...

No comments: