Google

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Roomates getting to Close... Indian Standard Time.

So I just got back from Cleveland. Lots to tell and lots of fun was had. I learned a lot about compliance with FDA regulations and what it really means to be under an FDA magnifying glass. It is not fun. I had originally planned to regale you with stories of Ohio adventures including century club, Cleveland night life, great seafood and sushi, amazing pizza, Kent Ohio and karoking to Ring of Fire, but instead I want to recount my Saturday night with the folks.

My mom wakes me up on Saturday from an amazing dream of Tyra Banks to tell me that we are going to dinner and seeing a movie, The Namesake, tonight and I am going with her and my dad (hence the we in the previous statement). This was one of those decrees that a son doesn’t argue with just goes along. Any way, instead of getting good Indian food as originally promised we go to this Thai/Hmoung restaurant which doesn’t happen to also be excellent. What is weird though is its not just myself and my parents, but they have invited a family friend, a priest from India... not to shocking if you have ever dined at my house, there is always at least 1 if not 2 priest in attendance.. I think in directly my parents are praying for my already lost soul. If had just been an Indian priest then it would not have been a huge deal, but there was also an old family friend there. A girl that I knew when I was growing up who is about 3 years older then me. She was always pretty nice to me, so we hit it off pretty nicely mostly because being 20 something’s we really did not have much to talk with my folks and a priest about. Since I was the last to sit down I get the crappy seat in the aisle between my mom and this women that I will call Kim.

Dinner was excellent.. volcano chicken is da bomb.. just a fyi if you are ever in Milwaukee.. check out EE-Sane on Farewell.. amazing food. After paying the bill we decide to head out to the movie theater but here is where I thought something was up.. Kim had didn’t know how to get to the theater, so my dad quickly volunteers me to help navigate her there.. little do they know, I don’t really have the slightest idea of where the place is... After some wrong turns and a couple good laughs we make it to the theater and find my parents have bought tickets and left them at will call. So we get inside and the three old people in our group are no where to be found.. This is starting to disturb me a little bit. But trying to find three Indians in an Indian movie theater might as well be a needle in a hay stack. That is something else you all should know.. Indian Standard Time.

This is how it works.. the movie is scheduled to start at 7:00 pm. Most people arrive a couple mins before or after really not missing anything at all. However, in the Indian world, the movie scheduled to start at 7 pm.. doesn’t start until 7:30. Yep sat and stared at the screen for 30 mins with nothing.. no Kal Penn nothing, all the while sitting in this theater with this girl I haven’t seen since I was 12. Anyway.. the movie finally starts 30 mins late, but the theater is only a 1/3 full. Although they way until 8:30 there is a stream of Indians flowing through the door to find their seats. This is Indian Standard Time... showing up 90 mins late for a movie that is started 30 mins late.

Anyway after the movie was over, my parents soundly reappear as if they have been there the whole time, and invite Kim over for tea.. how does that on a Saturday Night.. tea.. esp since I have not seen my parents awake past 9:30 in I don't know how many years. She being the polite Indian woman that she is accepts and off we go. After a couple more hours of tea and cookies and a little bit of awkward conversation, she decides to head home. At that point I take the opportunity to sneak off to bed because I don’t want to deal with the impending debrief on the night my mom is definitely going to ask for.

You guessed it.. at 8 am on Sunday my mom is back in my room asking about the night and our conversation.. saying she has her email address and phone number if I didn’t get it..

You know how embarrassing it is to be set up on a blind date by your parents and not even know it until its all over??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank q
I have gone through your message.it is wonderful
Myself having a information which is use full to Hyderabad people.

Now you can search for Business addresses, big landmarks with clear maps of Hyderabad. ilaka.in-team has implemented this

www.ilaka.in

Hyderabad Hospitals, Schools, Hotels, Movie theaters, Shopping malls..etc in http://www.ilaka.in

ILAKA is the twin cities most comprehensive resource locater. Simply put, WE can find anything one. And all this with one of the mouse.

It works like this. You enter the site and describe your start position on the map. Next, You enter your destination or search for outlet or service. Within seconds you will shown the shortest route to your destination with important landmarks and relevant information to get you there. And because this map is updated regularly, You’ll always have access to going-on in the city.

Now imagine what this service could do for your business. Potential customers will notice your presence on the map and know exactly how to get your place of business. This will include tourists to the city, businessmen and travelers, foreign visitors and city locals who had no previous knowledge of your services.

4/30/2007 01:54:00 AM