Google

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My New Hobbies..

So I have decided to take up two things to better myself over the next year. The first is pretty mainstream is golf. I think its about time I get myself out on the links and starting swinging a club a little. I enjoy being outdoors on a nice day, and I love being frustrated, so I think this could be a good fit. I am currently in process of picking my first set of clubs out. Going with something cheap from Sports Authority along these lines. Anyone with any knowledge about golf would like to give me some advice, I will be purchasing Friday or this weekend, so let me know. I am way excited to do digging through forests/weeds/lakes for my golf balls. Just Can't Wait!

The second hobby I am attempting to get momentum on is learning Hindi. Hindi for those who are unsure, is the national language of India. It is spoken almost everywhere throughout India, but probably a little less then English. I am not sure why I want to learn, but I think it has to do with my dwindling connection with my ethnic background. As I meet more and more Indians, I am learning how different my up bring was as compared to their's and in addition just the part of India I am from is very differnt. I have a different religion then most, neither of my parents speak Hindi, both spent large amounts of their upbring away from India whether it be Africa, or the USA and when people see me, I do not automatically strick them as Indian. I think the last point the most is what strikes me hardest. I think of myself as an Indian, but to others I am more hispanic then Indian. I think learning the language will strengthen my bond with who I am. Also I want my children and my children's children to feel the connection with India as I do through my parents and grandparents and extended family. The secondary motive is that I am planning on taking a trip to India next year, and I would love to be able to speak Hindi fluently so that I can really travel and see the country with no problems.

No comments: